- Heart & Soul: Marianne Richardson - Archived
Each quarter a manager is recognized at the management information meeting.
Marianne Richardson, General Hospital ED, was nominated because of her leadership and patient-centered focus.
Marianne has developed an exemplary leadership team in the ED, which has made and sustained significant improvements.
• On the CMS pneumonia composite blood culture performed in ED prior to initial antibiotic received, the department has had only one defect last year.
• Her team worked with the lab to implement a standardized process to prevent defects.
• As a primary stroke center, EMS routes stroke calls coming to CAMC to the General Hospital ED. The leadership team has worked diligently to improve the turnaround time from ED door to CT.
• In addition to general emergency medicine, she expects staff to maintain the highest critical skills in trauma, stroke and behavioral medicine.
• Often these patients and families can be quite challenging clinically and emotionally.
• She has maintained her clinical competencies and often works beside the staff taking care of patients in the ED.
Comments from her staff are also very revealing about Marianne:
• "As a manager, she is available and 'hands on.'"
• "She takes an active interest in quality improvement, cleanliness of the ER, patient care and retention of the staff. She is budget conscious and proactive." • "Our manager has done an exemplary job of leading our department. This includes staff recruitment, hiring and working day, night and weekend shifts."
Richardson has been the nurse manager of the General Hospital ED since 2006.