The new and improved cardiac catheterization department relocated from inside CAMC Memorial Hospital to the adjacent CAMC Heart and Vascular Center in 2009. There are seven catheterization labs and two electrophysiology labs in this new facility. These labs house the most advanced cath lab technology. Patients undergoing procedures enter from an outer hallway surrounding the labs with supplies located in a center core, allowing quicker access to them when needed for procedures. There also is direct access to the surgery suite at Memorial for emergency situations.
The pre- and post-cardiac catheterization patient rooms on the third floor of the building encourage increased time for nurses at each patient's bedside through their well-organized design, as well as ample space for families to wait on loved ones receiving procedures.
Services provided include (but are not limited to) these diagnostic and interventional procedures:
- Coronary angiography with left heart catheterization
- Right heart catheterization
- Myocardial biopsies
- Intravascular ultrasound
- Doppler Flo-wire
- Quantitative coronary analysis
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) septal occlusions
- Transluminal extraction catheter
- Coronary stent deployment
- Intra-aortic balloon pump insertion
- Cardio-pulmonary support
- Electrophysiology studies
- Tilt test study and Isuprel tilt test
- Radio frequency ablation
- Pacemaker and lead implantation and extraction
- Internal cardioverter defibrillator implantation and extraction (including laser extraction)
If you think you may have a cardiac condition or are at risk for cardiac disease, download this risk assessment and consult your primary care physician.