How Orbera™ Works
Orbera™ is an intragastric balloon and weight loss system.
Robert Shin, MD, and Samuel Rossi, MD, bariatric surgeons at the CAMC Weight Loss Center, are among a small group of surgeons in the country trained to perform the incision-less ORBERA™ procedure.
Dr. Shin or Dr. Rossi will place a soft, yet durable, deflated balloon down your throat and into your stomach. The balloon is then filled with saline until it is about the size of a grapefruit. The procedure takes 20 to 30 minutes, and you can typically go home the same day.
- Offers 3.1 times the weight loss of diet and exercise alone.
- Is for adults suffering from obesity who have tried to lose weight through diet, exercise and/or behavior modifications without success.
- Is a safe and effective, with over 220,000 placements worldwide.
- Is proven to keep weight off after the balloon is removed.
- Is FDA approved.
What to expect after the procedure
Most weight loss typically occurs in the first three months. On average patients lose about three times more weight than those using diet and exercise alone.
How you lose weight
By taking up space in your stomach, the balloon reinforces proper portion control and helps you eat smaller portions. You will also be supervised by the CAMC Weight Loss Center’s team of dietitians, psychologist and exercise physiologist. This team will help you make and maintain effective, realistic changes in your eating and exercise habits.
Removal of the gastric balloon
After six months, the balloon is deflated and removed without surgery or any incisions. You will continue to receive support for an additional 12 months after balloon removal to aid in your weight loss journey.
To qualify for ORBERA™, you should:
- Be an adult 22 years or older
- Have a body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 to 40
- Be willing to participate in a medically-supervised program that includes a healthy diet and exercise plan, beginning with the placement of the intragastric balloon and continuing for six months after its removal.
West Virginia’s Weight Loss Specialists
Our bariatric surgeons are experts in a variety of weight loss surgery techniques.