Each year more than 3,000 babies are born on the obstetrics floor at CAMC Women And Children’s Hospital. Our comprehensive maternity services and experienced staff provide patients with the care and support they need. Many of the babies born here are high-risk births, and the hospital is home to the region's largest and busiest Level IV (highest level) neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and pediatric intensive care unit (PICU).
The NICU is the only one in the state with physician coverage 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The labor and delivery and mother baby units partner with the CAMC Family Resource Center to provide education for expectant women and their families on topics such as childbirth education, breastfeeding, car seat safety, infant CPR, baby basics, baby sign language and infant massage.
Labor and Deliver
While in the hospital, patients find compassionate, experienced nurses, OB Gyn physicians and midwives who support them throughout labor and delivery.
The department includes:
- Triage area open 24 hours, seven days a week
- High-risk ante partum rooms
- Two surgical suites
- Surgical recovery room
- Comfortable labor and delivery rooms
- State of the art infant security system
Nurses who average 12 to15 years experience as labor and delivery nurses
This department cares for new mothers and their babies along with high-risk antepartum patients and is located behind a set of locked doors on the second floor. A family-centered approach is used to facilitate teaching/learning for parents, siblings and primary care givers. A security guard is on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assure that all babies are safe. The unit is designed to allow new mothers the rest and recuperation time needed in a friendly environment and offers:
- Postpartum care (care after delivery)
- Certified lactation consultants (304) 388-2180
- Ante partum care - cares for and manages patients who have complications with their pregnancy prior to delivery that result in a hospital stay
- Step down nursery
- Free paternity notaries (if needed)
- Massage therapy and physical therapy services available with physician order
- Compassionate care for newborns in the newborn nursery