The Family Resource Center offers a wide variety of classes for those on the journey of parenthood. Whether you’re a first time parent or want to prepare your child for the birth of a sibling, we provide the knowledge and expertise to meet your expanding family’s needs.
- Great expectations – Comprehensive four week series childbirth preparation class that includes information on signs of pre-term labor, stages of labor, breathing techniques, comfort measures, pain control options, medical interventions, postpartum care, hospital tour and introduction to breastfeeding.
- Done-in-a-Day childbirth class – A condensed, abbreviated one day class. This class includes pre-term labor, stages of labor, comfort measures, breathing techniques, pain control options, medical interventions, and postpartum. Class includes a tour of the maternity care area.
- Breastfeeding – Help your baby have the best start in life by breastfeeding. Come and learn how breastfeeding works, how to latch the baby on, breastfeeding positions, when to feed the baby, breast care and breastfeeding lifestyle. Class includes learning to pump and store breastmilk.
- Baby care basics – This interactive class focuses on basic care of the newborn. Learn swaddling, diapering, bathing safety and much more.
- Pediatric CPR – Infant and child CPR is different than CPR on an adult. You will be taught American Heart Association's basic lifesaving techniques. No written test, just lots of practice!
- Sibling prep – Big brothers and sisters ages 3-12 learn what to expect when a new baby comes into the home. Includes a visit to the Mother baby department to see a maternity suite and a look in the newborn nursery. Children make a gift for the new sibling.
- Safe Sitter – This class is designed to prepare students in grades 6-8 to be safe when they’re home alone, watching younger siblings or babysitting. The instructor-led class is filled with fun games and role-playing exercises. Students will learn child care skills, safety skills, first aid with rescue skills, as well as life and business skills. Students must bring lunch and drink from home. Lunch will not be provided.
- Hospital tour – A certified childbirth educator will guide a tour of Women and Children's Hospital maternity care areas. Participants will learn about the admission process, visitation policies and much more. They will view a labor and delivery room, visit the private maternity suites and look in the newborn nursery.
Ready to get started? Register online now.
Can’t make it to an in-person class? We’ll bring the class to you.
Understanding Birth eClass
The eClass includes eight chapters covering pregnancy, labor, birth stories, comfort techniques, medical procedures, Cesarean, newborn and postpartum. The class takes about 4-6 hours to complete.
Understanding Your Newborn eClass
The eClass takes about 2.5 hours to complete and covers the important basics that parents need to know to care for an infant in the first few months of life. Learn how to diaper, bath, dress and calm a newborn in this interactive course
Understanding Breastfeeding eClass
This interactive online course covers the essentials, including clear animation and plenty of video examples. It lets you know when to call for help and includes partner tips throughout. You will also have the opportunity to track feedings with an easy-to-use tracker! Allow 2-3 hours to complete.
Register for an online class now, or read more details.
For questions about classes or other services offered at the FRC, email us at email@example.com or call (304) 388-2545.