Charleston Area Medical Center maintains visitation policies to promote a safe, secure, and healthy environment that is conducive to an optimal recovery while allowing CAMC employees to perform their duties effectively and efficiently. This policy defines general standards of behavior for visitors. Specific information about the nature and frequency of visitations is kept on the individual nursing and treatment units. As a general rule, CAMC exercises oversight of the frequency and length of visitations to prevent interruptions in care and to ensure adequate rest and nutrition for our patients.
CAMC takes very seriously actual or potential threats to the health, safety, and security of our patients, physicians, nurses, and staff members and thus reserves the right to terminate visitations or refuse hospital access to visitors if they endanger in any way any of these stakeholders.
- All visitors must conform to CAMC safety, infection control, and unit specific policies and procedures including the wearing of personal protective equipment when indicated.
- Nursing and treatment units should post their visiting hours and unit specific guidelines online. Patient/family orientations to the units should include discussions of visitation guidelines and hours.
- Visitors must not visit more than one patient at a time if that patient is in isolation.
- The Nurse Manager and Charge Nurse are authorized to make exceptions to their unit specific policies and procedures if they believe that such exceptions are in the best interests of their patients.
Visitor Code of Conduct
Charleston Area Medical Center’s vision is to be the Best Place to Receive Patient Centered Care. Adherence to the Visitor Code of Conduct supports this vision and provides an opportunity to enhance the care environment for patients, staff, providers, students, volunteers, and all visitors alike. Charleston Area Medical Center has a zero tolerance policy with visitors engaging in behavior that is disrespectful or that impedes the delivery of care.
The following rules have been established to support our healing environment. Please adhere to the following rules at all times:
- Do not visit if you are sick.
- Clean your hands each time you enter and leave the patient’s room.
- Follow isolation precautions that are posted on the patient’s door.
- Do not touch patient equipment, wounds, or bandages.
- Wear pants, shirt, and shoes at all times.
- Follow the visitation policy as established by the nursing staff in the department.
- Do not use the waiting area / bathroom on a unit unless you are visiting a patient. Waiting rooms are not for overnight stays.
- Children must be supervised by adults at all times.
- Do not use patient bathrooms. Public bathrooms are available throughout our facility.
- Respectful and appropriate behavior is expected at all times.
- Do not use rude or discriminating behavior toward individuals on CAMC campus.
- Drugs, weapons, alcohol and other contraband are prohibited.
- No use of tobacco products.
- No video/audio recording or photography without permission.
- Follow instructions given by the healthcare team.
- Please check with nurse prior to bringing items in to patients.
Failure to comply with the any rule of the Visitor Code of Conduct may result in removal from the premises without permission to return.
Staff, providers, patients, volunteers, students, and visitors are instructed to notify security if the Visitor Code of Conduct has been violated.
**Charleston Area Medical Center does not restrict or deny visitation based on any discriminatory criteria.**